OK...so Jehoshaphat has come home from Israel to the rebuke from God. " Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the LORD? Because of this the wrath of the LORD is upon you. " (2 Chronicles 19:2) And, in response, he did a GREAT job cleaning house...calling the people back to GOD, sending out judges and priests and elders. But what the prophet told him was that because he had gone to war with Ahab (the wicked man who hated the LORD) that Jehoshaphat was under the wrath of God. I bet he dreamed about that word...like in movies when the dreams replay like a psychedelic broken record: "wrath..wrath of God..wra-wra-wrath of God, the wrath of God is UPON you". So one morning a messenger comes in with a grim face and Jehoshaphat's stomach fell -- the armies of the Moabites and Amnonites and some of the Edomites were on their way, and in fact they were already in the En-Gedi -- in Judah and only a few hours away. And Jehoshaphat does exactly the rig...
Reading the story of Ahab in a chunk, as it were, (instead of reading part of it one time, then another part -- or only reading only the part of the story referred to during a sermon) actually makes me feel uncomfortable. It is like this: have you ever watched a movie where one of the characters makes a stupid decision, or walks into a trap? OK, confession time: when that happens to me, I find myself yelling at the screen : "STOP! Don't do that!" -- or some equally inane warning. I bet you do too -- well maybe not you , but some people do. That is how I find myself feeling as I read this story -- only what I want to do is yell at God , "Just kill Ahab! He is going to go on being a jerk! What? You didn't kill him after that??? NO lightening? Really? He's not going to get it, God. He is a self-indulgent brat. YOU said he did more to provoke You than any other king of Israel before him...GIVE UP!" I want to yell this because God does not give up. Infact, ...
i betcha watching gives you a few blogging ideas!
ReplyDeleteYeah . . . you are blogging . . . that makes me happy! I'll put you on my "roll" :)
ReplyDeletegarth